LET'S TAKE YOU DOWN MEMORY LANE
To become the professional trade group of high ethical standards in the Nigerian Capital Market.
To engage in continuous collaboration with all stakeholders in the Nigerian Capital Market through regular and structured interactions in defining and redefining our strategic vision.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ASSOCIATION OF SECURITIES DEALING HOUSES OF NIGERIA (ASHON)
The Association of Securities Dealing Houses of Nigeria (ASHON) is the umbrella body of all the Securities Dealing Members Firms of the NGX duly registered by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a Trade Group.
ASHON was legally registered by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) on 1st day of June, 2005 as the Association of Operators of Stockbroking Houses of Nigeria under Part C-Incorporated Trustees. The operations started fully in 2006. The Constitution of the Association was amended on 26th day of September, 2012 and the name was changed to: Association of Stockbroking Houses of Nigeria. Similarly, the Constitution of the Association was further amended on 5th day of March, 2019. Thus, the name again changed from Association of Stockbroking Houses of Nigeria to Association of Securities Dealing Houses of Nigeria.
Its major objectives include setting professional and ethical standards for practitioners and to ensure compliance with the set standards for the Securities Dealing Houses in Nigeria.
OTHER OBJECTIVES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- To enable members approach or collaborate with the Government, SEC, NGX CIS, NASD, FMDQ, other Trade Point, and other Registered Securities Exchanges as a single body in order to facilitate the formulation of policies affecting the Capital Market and other related issues.
- To proffer sound professional and ethical standards for practitioners and advice on compliance with the set standard in conjunction with the regulatory bodies established by statute.
- To promote free interplay of market forces.
- To enable members, interact with one another on issues concerning the capital market in general and the Securities Dealing Firms in particular.
- To promote and protect the interest of members of the Association in the exercise of their duties as Securities Dealing Firms.
- To encourage professional development of Securities Dealing Firms through organizing lectures, seminars, workshops, retreats etc.
- To provide avenue for free flow of information among members and to encourage research on capital market matters/ operations.
- To relate with other professional bodies with a view to building a viable Nigerian Financial Market
- To nominate for representation members in good financial standing on the Council of the NGX and any other relevant Exchanges in Nigeria.
The Financial year end of the Association is 1st day of January to 31st day of December of every year. The members of the Association are subjected to pay an annual subscription of N100,000.00 (One Hundred Thousand Naira) only. The Association survive by the annual subscription from members, grants, income from organized events etc.
The Association has a six-man Board of Trustees and a nine-man Governing Council. The day to day running of the Association is under the supervision of the Executive Secretary who doubles as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Association. All other staff of the Secretariat reports to him whilst he reports to the Governing Council. The Governing Council is the highest decision-making body of the Association.
The Association’s office address is at Medife House (3rd floor), 58/60. Broad Street, Lagos.